Thursday 31 December 2015

TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2015

Soooooo, last day huh? it's 365/365, the last page of this year, I've been doing this top 5 albums for three years in a streak now. I guess that was an achievement, since I'm not posting regularly. Well cut the crap and going straight to business! 2015 was AWESOME with capital. How could not? I have to narrow it down to 5 from what? 50 good albums this year?! That was insane. So this is just my personal taste, well you know it might be a crappy one, but I guarantee the music won't be.

I feel like cheating. Maybe I will write more than 5 albums. (no particular order, I love it all)






WAVVES - V

It's my favourite pop-punk album since 2008, probably. Nate was coming back from his super busy life, making other music project, but it was all good because this Wavves album is super cool. Well at least in my opinion. So how come you not remember the moment when Nate posted "Way Too Much" to Soundcloud while his records ( Warner) told him not to? I guess Nate posted that song just to see it being taken down by his records, it's quite the drama to watch at that time actually. So where do I start, this album is still the maturity of Wavves since "Afraid of Heights", the first time I'm in love with this guy was when he was all teenage lo-fi punk psychedelia shit. Now as time goes by, the music become maturer, like always, and I kinda like it. Especially this album, which has faster tempo than before. You won't gonna hear the lo-fi fun song like what you heard in "Wavves" and "Wavvves" or "King of the Beach", this album sounds more angrier and break-up-ey. Well as you know you can take the boy out of Indie but you can't take Indie out of the boy.







THE CRIBS - FOR ALL MY SISTERS

Ok, this is my new favourite Cribs album, why? simply because it's the collaboration between Ric Ocasek and the Jarman brothers. Ric has produced my favourite Weezer album, and now he was working with The Cribs? the album is just like what I expected, that melancholy 90s indie rock riff and the authenticity of Cribs. Sounds sooooo Weezer-ey and i really love it, like LOVE it, since the first time I listen to "An Ivory Hand" that synthesizer came out of nowhere and it touched me right in the feels of nostalgia. This maybe not their rawest album but it's really one of their best work.





COURTNEY BARNETT - SOMETIMES I SIT AND THINK AND SOMETIMES I JUST SIT

If you haven't listen to this album yet, where the hell have you been in your life. I mean fucking seriously, it's one of the best album in 2015, plus it's a debut album from Barnett, what an achievement.  So it's the follow up to her split EP that has been released on 2014, it's a good album too, this debut album delivers you the inherit of grunge, but instead of angry lyrics, she just write playful, fun, not-so-serious lyrics but still beautiful. You gotta love how she played those music and (not exactly) sing. You really have to listen to this album if you haven't heard it yet. Best to listen to "Pedestrian at Best" at first, and then you good to go.




TAME IMPALA - CURRENTS

You can't deny that they are one of the biggest band in the world right now, I'm not a big fan of "Lonerism" but I'm a huge fan of "Innerspeaker", you can call me a hipster or whatever but that album is a total different album. So I didn't really expect much from this album when it comes out, and then guess what? It's like the combination of melancholy-ness of their first two albums, and guess what again? i fucking love it, so much, it blew my mind off. This album sounds so similar to "Innerspeaker" in my personal opinion, I don't know why, but it their early vibe has back, it's slightly different but still has the same feeling. Oh and try listen to "Cause I'm a Man" in a 1.5x speed. It's awesome.





DRENGE - UNDERTOW

Two years ago, their debut album is my favourite album of 2013, you still remember what I thought about this band, right? If not, please scroll to my top 5 albums of 2013. They are come back with more bang, you still remember their debut album is like riding a fucking muscle cars in a really long highway in Seattle, top speed and not even braking. Now it's exactly the same, but with more curve turn and brake plays. They found a new member that became their tour member, and he plays bass, the only thing that was missing from this band. So now they got a perfect gun and fully ammo, nothing can stop them. The result? bloody brilliant. It seems like they were born in Seattle at the 90s. A natural grunge feeling not to mention they were originally came from Sheffield. Not even close to Seattle. So it's still that heavy and angry riff but it's getting more complicated. Life is.



So I think that was all, my top 5 albums of 2015, it's pretty rough ride to noiseland, but I've made my decision. I'm kinda expecting more good album in 2016 even if it's gonna takes a lot of time to decide my top 5 albums of 2016, but it was all worth it, I don't even regret it one bit. Meanwhile let's celebrating the New Year's Eve, the night is still pretty young, but it's getting closer to midnight! Have a nice night!

P.S. remember when I said I'm gonna cheat? Here are my personal favourites recommendation that didn't make it through the list, the one is a great pop-punk album and the other is pretty rough decision to drop it as a best grunge-y album in 2015.




BULLY - FEELS LIKE




WOLF ALICE - MY LOVE IS COOL





No comments:

Post a Comment