Wednesday 31 December 2014

Proudly Present: Top 5 Albums of 2014

WELL WELL WELL.. I didn't really expect it's the last day of 2014 already.. Gosh it's been a reaaaaally short year for me. I don't know why. So, I guess it's time for my Top 5 Albums on 2014. DUM DUM DUM DUUUUM (Beethoven's fifth, I don't really know why I wrote that) 2014 made a lot of really really good albums. Since the very first month, I mean who forget about "Morning Phase" release on January? That album is so on my top 5 (spoiler alert.) Well guess I'm gonna cut out the chit-chat and let's start with number one. No particular order of course, it's already hard to narrow it down to 5.





BECK - MORNING PHASE

It's already said that this album is on my top 5 list. I mean, who doesn't love this baby-faced guy? Super talented since day one. I never get tired of "Loser" since I hear it for the first time which is probably older than your mom (mom's joke, classic.) But, we won't hear that rough guitar noise, computerised vocal, or weird sounds that he usually make, this album is melancholy as fuck, which is the first reason why I really love it. I can't decide which is better, Sea Change or this, but one thing for sure, this album wasn't the heart-breaking type. I mean sure, you already get that in Sea Change, Beck was broken-hearted and shit so he produce that magnificent album, in Morning Phase we could feel that breezy, soothing, and slow-paced music since the opener "Cycle" which is an opera opener. Pretty much perfect for my numb ears. I realised it too, this album is way "safer" for a come-back since Modern Guilt, but hey, he is definitely safe, right? Nobody hates this album, unless you hate it, then probably you should go back to your telly and watch The Voice.








INTERPOL - EL PINTOR

Oh I'm so excited about this album, well the last time I heard they were on hiatus after their Self-Titled on 2010, Banks even release his second solo album on 2013, so when I knew they were making a new album, it's a pretty good news to me. So, El Pintor, the anagram for Interpol (if you haven't realised it yet) opened with "All the Rage Back Home" and I still keep this song in my phone, if you really know me, I keep a very few songs on my phone and I have this song since it was released until now. First time I hear it, I'm not really expecting the sounds of old Interpol, like on their first two album, I thought it will be more dirge-y and difficult, instead I found the Turn On The Bright Lights and Antics vibe. Which is real good for me. You have to know as long as it comes from Interpol, I'm never disappointed, but this is unexpected, blew my mind. Well they may not be as authentic and as important as they were, but this album kinda proves that they still have what it takes to be beautiful.








JAMIE T - CARRY ON THE GRUDGE

I know what I said earlier, I can't pick up the best album in this list, but this is my personal favourite. First time I heard this man on "Sheila" I instantly knew that this guy is one of the kind. Panic Prevention which was his first release, is da-bomb (I don't really know ((again)) why I wrote that phrase. It's so american.) The punk-and-poets vibe on his first two album,and it's not heard in the third one. This was also the long-awaited album from Jamie, the last album Kings and Queens was released five years ago, and he goes on a hiatus. Rumor has that he had a throat problem which was blocking his music path. Though he was turning the steer on his music but he still has that lyrically genius type, still with that brit-street-happening type of lyrics. The only thing I miss about Jamie is the rap. I mean I love with how he rap his lyrics, but I didn't really expect that in this album when the first time "Don't You Find" was released. I don't know what's wrong about me, but it's the melancholy of the album that made me falling for this album. Probably except "Zombie" which was becoming my morning jam for a several weeks. Oh this album is also still on my phone. You know, the music on the phone thing, I already explain that.





KASABIAN - 48:13

Who watched the video of Tom and Serge decorating a 48:13 video on their youtube? I did. Their statement about their finally-speak-for-itself album, the above average length album, really got me when the album released. I was kinda embarassed to admit that the first time I hear Eez-eh, I didn't really like the idea. But you know, give it a little time and suddenly it lingers in your head for a really long time. The album consist of 13 tracks, I don't know is it merely a coincidence or not, but they said it related to the album name. I mean is kinda cheesy is it? named the album from the length of it. But whatever is it, this album is still awseome. You got the dark and slow, the melancholy and acoustic, also the jump-over-my-head kind of songs. It's pretty complete album, kinda mix moody, but it's awesome. I was even going back-and-forth the record store searching for this album. In my city it's pretty hard to find it. But it was all worth it.






MAC DEMARCO - SALAD DAYS

A sudden everyone's favourite, notorious Mac Demarco. I can't even say anything about this album. Literally. It's good. Trust me. You will love it.


It's the end of the list actually, if you're not counting. It's also the last day of 2014, which maybe some of you are already out in this raniy day, looking for a new year's eve party, or a little bbq party, or maybe you're at home, in front of the computer, like me, writing rubbish review, about something you love. It's just that, a real difficulty for me to narrow it to five albums, when you got plenty of awesome released music. But I love doing this so, hope that you'll get something from this. Happy new year x.





((BONUS ALBUM) VA - GUARDIAN OF THE GALAXY: AWESOME MIX VOL. ONE)

Best movie of 2014, along with the best soundtrack. You'll love it. It's as awesome as it was said.


No comments:

Post a Comment